Our Admission Criteria
The Local Authority facilitate the process of consultation on admission arrangements for the schools in the Arthur Terry Learning Partnership including Hill West.
When we receive more applications than there are places available, we will apply the oversubscription criteria which will be used to decide who will be offered a place, and the ranking of the waiting list. Places at our school will be offered based on the following order of priority.
- Looked after or previously Looked After Children
- Children with a sibling already at the school they have applied for who will still be in attendance in Year 6 (for primary admissions)
- Children who live nearest the school of choice.
Within each of these categories priority is given to those who live nearest the school calculated on the basis of a straight line measurement between the applicant’s home address and the main school gates. For details of individual schools age range for primary and secondary the Published admission number for each school please visit the related school website or the www.atlp.org.uk
Waiting lists will not be fixed following the offer of places. They are subject to change. This means that a child’s waiting list position during the year could go up or down. Any applicants will be added to the school’s list in accordance with the order of priority for offering places.
Appeals are administered by the Local Authority. Parents who wish to appeal against the decision to refuse their child admission to the school of their choice should contact School Admissions at Birmingham Local Authority and request an appeal form. Appeals will be heard by an independent panel.
How are places allocated to Reception starters September 2021
- You will receive information in the post from Birmingham City Council School Admissions Team in this autumn about how to start your child at school in Reception. If you have not received this you need to contact the School Admissions Team on 0121 303 1888.
- You should apply online at www.birmingham.gov.uk/schooladmissions or return your paper preference form to the School Admissions Team by 15th January 2021. If you need to make any changes to your form due to exceptional circumstances, such as you’re moving home, you need to inform Birmingham Admissions by 15th January 2021.
- Places are allocated in line with Birmingham City Council’s admission criteria as outlined above (looked after children, siblings, then distance from school).
- Online applicants will be notified of their allocated place on 16th April 2021.
If you require any further information or guidance then please visit https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/20119/school_admissions/1786/apply_for_reception_primary_school/7